I fully expected the Chicago Bears to repeat their dominating Super Bowl title in KACSPORTS 1985 NFL simulation. I projected at least 18-1 and very possibly 19-0. Like the Saturday Night Live skit I expected the Bears to win every game 148-3.
The Bears indeed won the title, but it came much tougher than anticipated. The undefeated season went by the boards early with a loss to Washington, and the Bears would also lose to the 49ers, Dolphins (as in real life) and Jets. But the division title was never in doubt as the Bears finished four games ahead of their nearest division rival.
The picture above is from the Bears late-season meeting with the Jets at the Meadowlands. The Jets wore white at home that year, so this gives an idea of how a Super Bowl between the two teams would have looked.
- Both the Giants and Jets earned number one seeds, which had New York in a frenzy headed into the postseason.
- Raymond Berry’s New England Patriots lived good throughout the real AFC playoffs, collecting a ridiculous amount of turnovers along the way. The Pats were not nearly as lucky in simulation, missing the playoffs with a 7-9 record.
- In a game remembered in real-life for Refrigerator Perry’s goal-line exploits, Walter Payton had a legendary night on Monday Night Football v. the Packers as he scored five times.
- Another memorable Monday Night game saw the Broncos defeat the 49ers on an icy night at Mile High Stadium. In the simulation Denver did not stand a snowballs chance, with the Niners victorious 45-13.
- The next week provided another infamous moment on MNF. The Giants added insult to Joe Theismann’s injury in a 43-13 win.
The playoffs began with a memorable performance by Dan Marino, who threw five touchdown passes in a 45-21 win over Seattle. The home team prevailed in all four games on the AFC side, with the Jets not allowing a touchdown in their two victories.
The Cowboys faced the Los Angeles Rams in a playoff game for the seventh time at Texas Stadium, and for the first time emerged victorious when Danny White found Doug Cosbie for a TD pass with 16 seconds remaining. After a local civic celebration, the Cowboys traveled to San Francisco and upset the 49ers, again in dramatic fashion in the final seconds.
Chicago started the playoffs as the NFC’s number three seed, sending the Bears to the Meadowlands for the divisional playoffs. They would defeat the Giants then return home to methodically dispatch the Cowboys, who they dominated in the regular season.
The season concluded with the real-life champion replicating its title in the simulation, as Payton scores twice in the Bears 23-3 victory over the Jets, who drop to 0-3 all-time in Super Bowl competition.